By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #254
These items were taken from the March 6, 1958 issue of the Bow Island Graphic Newspaper. This is an extension of the items featured in Down Memory Lane #253.
Burdett by Mrs. Donald Warren
– A mixed bonspiel was held in Burdett recently with thirty two rinks participating. Results of the week-long event were: First Event – 1. George Thacker (canister sets), 2. Diane Thacker (knife sets), 3. Lee Haughian (breakfast sets), 4. Herb Thacker (breakfast sets). Second Event – 1. Mike Gyorfi (ship lamps), 2. Jim Roth (lazy susans), 3. Rene Mercier (thermometers), 4. Fred Romanchuck (thermometers). Third Event – 1. Bruce Robinson (steak knives), 2. Larry Emard (desk lamps), Ted Leno (kitchen utensils sets), 4. T. Schlachter (kitchen utensils sets).
– Four ladies entered the Taber bonspiel last weekend with two being successful winners. The I. Young rink with Dora Warren third, Sharon Bateman second, and Vera Warren lead, took third in the Second Event, winning Lady Buxton wallets. The Merle Thacker rink with Rose Emard third, Florence Thacker second, and Madeline Thacker lead, took second in the Third Event which were silver butter dishes.
– Mr. and Mrs. Dick Moch announce the birth of a son, Richard Timothy on February 24 at the Lethbridge Municipal Hospital.
– Evangelical Church Dedicated at Foremost – Dedication of the new Evangelical Free Church took place on Sunday. Pastors Mr. T. Hansen of Bow Island and Mr. Smith of Etzikom brought greetings from their churches. The Field Supervisor of the Canadian Branch of Evangelical Free Church of America, Mr. Fosmark of Calgary was present. Layman J. Bollinger gave a brief resume of the progress of work on the church. Mr. Kiffiak of Skiff was the main carpenter and took car of the finer details of construction. Mr. Spady of Skiff read the lesson and directed the afternoon services. Field Supervisor Fosmark gave the service. Mr. Ratzliffe sang “Bless This House”. Mrs. Smith sang “Make me a Blessing”. Mr. and Mrs. Ratzliffe rendered a duet “For All My Sins”, Faith and Beth Strome also sang a duet.
– A special dedication service of the Foremost United Church took place on Sunday, when red drapes faced with an oak cross were unveiled at the rear of the Chaneel. This is in appreciation for the many years of service to the church of Mr. and Mrs. Reynar and Mrs. Hood. The presentation was made by Mr. Hadlington. Mrs. R. Geldreich and G. Piper were installed as Elders and W. Phillips, G. Nicoll, C. Dillenbeck, J. Thompson, R. Geldreich and G.O. Mehlen were installed as Stewards.
This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen