Current Temperature

32.8°C

July 26, 2017 July 26, 2017

1958: Sugar beets added to local farming

Posted on July 4, 2017 by 40 Mile Commentator

By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #287
These items were taken from the October 30, 1958 Bow Island Graphic
Sugar Beets Added to Successful Crops in this District – Something new was added to farming in this district this year when ten farmers entered into the sugar beet raising business. The harvesting operation is now complete and the area is approximately fifty thousand dollars richer, or will be when all the payments have been made to growers. Almost 35 hundred tons of beets were raised on about two hundred and fifty acres. The weather co-operated almost perfectly and even though it was a first experience for about half of the farmers the average tonnage was a quite satisfactory thirteen and a half tons per acre. Most of the spring work was done by hand but three mechanical harvesters owned by D.J. Atwood; E. Van Oostenbrugge and Orval Reber did most of the fall work. The first beets delivered to the factory at Taber were from the farm of Mr. Atwood. Beets were also grown by Messrs: Davies; Morgan; Heidinger; Lazarow; Nishi; Sakamoto; and Simbodie. Because of the success in raising beets enjoyed this year it is expected that the acreage will be increased and that a piler will be located in the district next year.
Winnifred News by Mrs. Bertha Annon
– Several members of the Community Association took advantage of the nice weather on Tuesday to put a coat of tar on the roof of the Community Hall. It was damaged by the hail storm last summer.
– The Ogilvie elevator is open again for business after being closed for three weeks for major repairs.
– A large herd of sheep belonging to Murray Ranching Co. was moved past here Sunday morning. They were going east on the way to winter pasture.
Bow Island
– George Begg Laid to Rest in Medicine Hat – Mr. Begg passed away October 21 in a Calgary hospital. He was 78. Survived by three brothers; Walter of Winnifred, Victor of Wetaskiwin and Douglas of Toronto.
– Sunday morning at the regular service at St. Andrews United Church, six tiny tots were presented for Baptism. Rev. R. Dougan officiated with Mrs. J. Graham presenting the white carnations and certificates. Children presented included Randal Thomas and Valerie Anne children of Mr. and Mrs. Garry Cooper; Pamela Anne, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dave Ferrel; Douglas Norman and Barbara June, children of Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Thorson and Margaret Anne, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Wallwork.
– Mr. and Mrs. Norvall Coffman have purchased the Murray Bullock farm south of town, although Mr. and Mrs. Bullock do not plan to move until after the new year.
– Bob Pharis and Norvall Coffman have just returned from their big game hunt which took them to the mountains west of Rocky Mountain House. They experienced a wonderful trip and they also got their moose which had a spread of 42 ? inches.
– Tenders on United Church – Tenders will be received by the undersigned until noon, November 15, 1958 for the old United Church building, property and contents (with the exception of three pews, one heater and baptismal font). Tenders to be submitted as above for building and property only. Lowest or any tender not necessarily accepted. J. McCracken, Sec. Board of Trustees, St. Andrews United Church, Bow Island, Alberta.
That’s all for this week. This has been a Stroll Down Memory Lane with old Fred Mellen

Leave a Reply

Get More Bow Island Commentator
Log In To Comment Latest Paper Subscribe