Current Temperature

16.5°C

September 20, 2017 September 20, 2017

Down Memory Lane: 1958: Soldier completes course in Germany

Posted on August 29, 2017 by 40 Mile Commentator

By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #292
These items were taken from the December 11, 1958 issue of the Graphic.
Bow Island
– Albert Bateman Elected President of Local Legion. The Bow Island Branch of the Canadian Legion met at their hall for their annual meeting last Thursday. Zone Commander Jack Oldham and Zone Secretary Ed Francis were visitors at the meeting and conducted the election of officers. Al Bateman was elected as the new President; Jim Wallwork, Vice President; Max Hamilton, Secretary; Ben Halbert, Treasurer; Martin Heidinger will be Sgt. at Arms. The executive elected include, C.N. Evans, Cecil Noad, Jim Piehochki, John Kerner, John Lerner, George Malinsky, Ed Schaufele and Jim Jensen.
– About 50 neighbors and friends gathered Tuesday night to give Mr. and Mrs. Roy Loney a surprise “Home Coming” party. Games, singing and a very tasty pot luck lunch were enjoyed and numerous feet of film taken. On behalf of those present Pat Knibbs presented Roy and Jeanette with a lovely pair of copperware candlestick holders.
– On the front page a picture of four soldiers was featured. They had each completed their junior non-commissioned officers course in Germany. One of those featured was L/Cpl Jack Mitchell of Bow Island (Richard Mitchell’s brother).
– Mr. and Mrs. M.G. Hill of Seven Persons announce the engagement of their daughter, Patsy Ann, to James Fredrick Roger Moore. The wedding will take place in St. Andrew’s United Church in Bow Island on December 29, 1958 at seven o’clock. (Note – we old timers know that Patsy was the daughter of Pat and Gladys Hill and she married Roger Moore).
– Mrs. A. Whitney and Alfred Millar Unveil Cornerstone of New United Church. A very joyful and thankful congregation met for their first service of Worship at the new St. Andrew’s United Church Sunday morning. Just prior to the service the cornerstone of the church was unveiled by two senior members of the congregation, Mrs. Albert Whitney and Alfred Millar, both members of the first St. Andrew’s Church which was built in 1909.
– Construction Started on New Post Office. The Minister of Public Works, Honourable Howard C. Green, announced today a contract for $13,620 had been awarded to Johnson Construction Company Limited of Medicine Hat for construction of a new Post Office building at Bow Island, Alta. The new one-storey building which will provide 800 sq. ft. of working area, will replace rented accommodation presently occupied by the Post Office. It will be of frame construction with an exterior of brick veneer. Walls and ceilings will be of plasterboard and floors will be covered with linoleum. Adequate heating will be provided by a forced air gas burning furnace.
This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen

Leave a Reply

Get More Bow Island Commentator
Log In To Comment Latest Paper Subscribe