By Fred Mullen
These items were taken from the February 19, 1959 issue of the Graphic.
– The front page featured a picture of the “Presentation Made To First Baby Daniel Joseph Pratt”. This is a happy picture taken at the new hospital this week when Elmer Bergh made the presentation on behalf of the Chamber of Commerce to the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Pratt, who was born Sunday morning at 3:20. Others in the picture are Jim Roth, Bill Townsend, Dr. Carr and Miss Gerwing. (Our complete ‘Hospital Opening’ – next week).
– It gives a thrill of pride to be part of a community where so many people devote so much time and effort without monetary remuneration towards making our town a better place in which to live and raise one’s family. Just one example of this is the building of the Civic Centre and now the work being put in by the Directors to provide a supervised place for our children to develop their physical skills and perhaps even more important, good sportsmanship. Under the direction of Pat Knibbs assisted by Elmer Bergh, a three team Pee Wee League has been formed for the boys between the ages of nine and twelve with one other team called the Flyers comprised of 20 boys of the same age group but with a little more experience. The latter team has made one out of town trip to Taber three weeks ago where they won 4 to 0. There are now between 35 and 40 boys participating in the Pee Wee League which meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays for practice hockey while on Saturday they divide into teams and have a regular game. Two sets of uniforms have been donated by the Lions Club while another two sets have been donated by individuals who wish to help out our young lads.
– Mr. and Mrs. Ernie Arsenault and family were pleasantly surprised this weekend when their daughter Marg walked in the door. She came from Edmonton where she is working in an insurance office, with Mr. and Mrs. Phil Anderson. Elaine Ell who is taking a Secretarial Course there, also came down with the Anderson’s to visit her folks Mr. and Mrs. Pete Ell.
– Mr. and Mrs. Jack Simpson were pleased to have their son Tom home with them from Grandforks, B.C. where he is posted with the RCMP. He is on Doukabor Patrol in this district.
– An advertisement on page one is featured. Official Opening of the Bow Island Community Centre. Saturday, February 28 at 1 pm. 1:00 – 2:30 Carnival, 2:30 – 4:00 pm Pee Wee Hockey, 4:00 – 5:00 Broomball, 5:00 – 6:00 Public Skating, 7:15 – 8:00 Boy Scout and Cub Activities, 8:00 Official Opening, 8:15 – 9:00 Pee Wee Hockey, 9:00 – 10:00 Public Skating.
Conquerville News by Margaret Dragland
– The Conquerville Students Union held their monthly meeting at the school Friday and a new slate of officers were elected. President – George Hammel, Vice President – Lila Corraini, Secretary – Marilyn Jurkat, Treasurer – Rosella Mastel, Chairman of Sports Committee – Dennis Roth, Chairman of Social Committee – Josephine Stappler.
– Students of the district attending Olds School of Agriculture – Andrew Schlachter and Louis and John Schile, also Walter Kolody of Winnifred are included in the site-seeing tour of Banff February 27 planned by the school.
This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen