Down Memory Lane #201
By Fred Mellen
These items were taken from the July 11, 1957 issue of the Bow Island Graphic Newspaper.
Whitla News by Yvonne Ovard
– Mr. and Mrs. George Verhaest, Shirley and Mr. and Mrs. Bill Babe, Howard and Karen, left Sunday morning to attend the Calgary Stampede, Monday, then on to Edmonton, Jasper and Banff before returning home.
– Mr. and Mrs. Ed Lyon and family left Thursday for a trip to Vancouver where they will spend several days visiting Mrs. Alice Berney and Mr. and Mrs. W. Lyon.
– George Verhaest and Carl Hillestad kindly donated their cars to take the local ball team to Orion last Saturday July 6 and they had a very interesting game.
– The district is very much in need of rain and some of the farmers are getting crooks in their necks from watching every moving cloud.
– Donald and Stanley Calder are both home on holidays with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Calder. On Saturday, they, Mrs. Calder and their Grandmother Mrs. Southerton left for Spokane for a few days holiday.
Winnifred News by Mrs. Bertha Annon
– Mr. and Mrs. Otto Hubka and family and Mr. and Mrs. Christopherson and family picnicked at Elkwater on Sunday.
– Marlene Nelson is spending part of her summer holidays in Lethbridge with Mrs. L. Dragland.
– Nine box cars were left at the elevators here Saturday evening, the first for several weeks.
– Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Popel and family motored to Calgary on Sunday and will be there for the stampede.
– Frances Annon spent the past week visiting her sister Mrs. Quinnel in Lethbridge.
– The little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Blanchard spent the past week with her Grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Rapson.
Seven Persons by Mrs. Esther Klug
– Congratulations are extended to Mr. and Mrs. Bill Seitz on the arrival of a new son, on June 23.
– L. Greggains is working for the S.M.R.D. for a few weeks.
– Due to illness many children were unable to complete their final exams.
Faith by Mrs. Thekla Ehnes
– On June 26th Miss Dorothy Kanig was honoured with a miscellaneous shower.
– Mr. and Mrs. Joe Mitzel motored to Lethbridge on Wednesday. Orillia, who has been attending school at Calgary accompanied them home and will remain for the summer holidays.
Etzikom by Mrs. Grace Stromsmoe
– Mr. and Mrs. Waldo McFall and family are visiting in Vancouver, B.C.
– Mr. and Mrs. R. Bishop and family have returned from a trip to the U.S.A. where they visited with the former’s brother.
That’s all for this week. This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen