Down Memory Lane #209
By Fred Mellen
These items were taken from the August 1, 1957 issue of the Bow Island Graphic Newspaper.
Whitla News by Yvonne Ovard
– There was quite a scare on Tuesday evening when a flame of fire was noticed in the ditch about half a mile west of the Whitla junction. In less than fifteen minutes about 24 people gathered with wet sacks and shovels to extinguish the flames. Evidently it was caused by some careless person discarding a burning cigarette butt. This time of the year you can’t be too careful with fire.
– George Verhaest and George Thorson attended the Co-Op meeting in Medicine Hat on Monday.
– Mr. and Mrs. Phil Rapson Jr. of Winnifred and Jim Newton of Medicine Hat were visitors at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Hillestad last Tuesday evening.
– Shirley Verhaest returned home on Thursday after being confined to the hospital for four days.
– On Monday afternoon about 1:30 Queen Scout Donald Hadnagy boarded the Trans-Polar plane from Edmonton to fly via the Polar Route to London, England. There were around 60 scouts on this flight, the last to leave Alberta for the World Scout Jamboree. The boys will be in England for about three weeks, returning home in time for the fall school classes. Mr. and Mrs. Phil Dutrisac and Delores were on hand at the airport to bid Donnie farewell. This is Donnie’s first plane trip and certainly one he will remember and cherish the rest of his life. We hope to bring you some very interesting accounts of the Jamboree when Donnie returns to Bow Island.
Winnifred News by Mrs. Bertha Annon
– Gordon Evans has been painting his house in preparation for moving in soon.
– Mr. and Mrs. Glen Lee of Etzikom called on Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Annon last Wednesday as they were on their way to the Lethbridge Stampede.
– Mr. and Mrs. Warren Quinell of Lethbridge spent Saturday with Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Annon and took their baby home with them. The baby has been with her grandparents while the parents were on holidays.
– Mrs. Kenneth Berger and sons of Calgary have been recent visitors at the home of her parents Mr. and Mrs. Philip Rapson Sr.
– Foster Gow, School Trustee for this district was in town this week to make arrangements for bus routes for the coming school term.
Conquerville News Notes by Louise Wutzke
– Mr. and Mrs. C. Solberg are the owners of a new Meteor.
– Mr. and Mrs. T. Corraini and family enjoyed a camping trip to Radium Hot Springs this week.
– Carl Southerton and Walter Carlson made a trip to Burmis for lumber last Thursday.
That’s all for this week. This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen