By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #252
These items were taken from the February 27, 1958 issue of the Bow Island Graphic Newspaper.
– Bob Beasley’s car was almost completely demolished in a two-car collision five miles west of Stavely last Friday afternoon. Bob was driving his car, accompanied by six men, all employees of the Trident Drilling Co. which is presently at a site on the Flying E Ranch. Bob was not injured, but one was killed and one seriously injured in the accident. The driver of the other car, Mrs. E. Nelson who was travelling alone escaped injury.
– Alice Schaufele Elected Zone Commander of Legion Auxiliary. Mrs. Ed Schaufele, Mrs. J. McCarten and Mrs. T. Grover attended the Zone Commander meeting of District 6 held at Medicine Hat on Wednesday evening; at this meeting Mrs. Alice Schaufele was elected as the new Zone Commander. Mrs. Schaufele will attend the convention in Edmonton in May.
– There was a very good representation of the Bow Island Scouts, Cubs, Guides and Brownies at the Baden Powell Anniversary Sunday Service at Burdett. Leaders attending included Mr. M. Matsumoto with the Scouts; Mr. J. McCracken and D. Fraser with the Cubs and Mrs. John Kerner with the Brownies. The address was given by Mr. R. Davies of the Bow Island L.D.S. Church.
– Mr. and Mrs. Steve Nicholas celebrated their Forty Ninth Wedding Anniversary on Sunday, February 29. Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas were married in South Dakota in 1909 and a few days later came to Canada to settle in the Bow Island District, twelve miles out of town. The last few years they have resided in the Town of Bow Island. Present for an Anniversary Dinner were Mr. and Mrs. X. Kaupp and family; Mr. and Mrs. Jim Tuttle all of Lethbridge on Sunday.
Conquerville News by Lila Corraini
– In a ceremony at St. Joseph’s Convent at Medicine Hat on Saturday, February 22, Sister Mary John (nee Lucille Roth) received her Habit. Among the many relatives in attendance were Mr. and Mrs. T. Schwietzer, Leona Schwietzer and Mr. and Mrs. Joe Mangel, all from Montana.
– Mr. and Mrs. Pete Roth are the proud parents of a baby girl.
Winnifred News by Mrs. Bertha Annon
– Chester Rapson has moved his house and a barn onto his farm and is living there.
– Mr. and Mrs. Phil Rapson Jr. are the proud parents of a baby girl, born in Medicine Hat Hospital on Tuesday.
– Dorothy Karl, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. Karl was married to Dennis Anderson of Cranford on Friday. The reception was held at the home of her parents. The wedding dance was held in Etzikom with Mueller’s Orchestra in attendance.
– Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Hougen are the proud parents of a baby boy.
– Legion members are presently engaged in remodeling their hall, a new hardwood floor, new ceiling and paint on the rest of the interior.
– Harry Calhoun attended a Case Co. meeting held in Lethbridge on Monday at which the dealers from all Southern Alberta were present. A new Case Credit Co-Op to the dealers was set up.
This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen