By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #279
These items were taken from the September 4, 1958 issue of the Graphic.
– Enrolment for the B.I. Elementary School totals 253 pupils to date. Mrs. Wynne Evans is the Principal of the schools with Mrs. Hazel Simpson, Vice Principal. Teachers and enrolment is as follows: Grade 1 Mrs. A Meyers 22 pupils, Grade 1 Mrs. H. Simpson 21 pupils; Grade 2 Mrs. R. Howe 25 pupils, Grade 2 Mrs. J. Szanislo 26 pupils; Grade 3 Mrs. B. Cummins 20 pupils, Grade 3 Miss J. Barrett 23 pupils; Grade 4 Mrs. V. Zacher 37 pupils; Grade 5 Mrs. H. Alexander 21 pupils, Grade 5 Mrs. D. Hagner 21 pupils; Grade 6 Mrs. W. Evans 37 pupils.
– Caretakers of the local schools have been working overtime getting everything ready and in order for school opening: Massey Matsumoto is caretaker for the Brick school and the new Primary school while Ward Clark has assumed the duties at the Gershaw Schools.
– Darryl Smith Wins High Praise for Best 4H Grain Plot in Alta. Jack Anderson, District Agriculturist, on announcing the plot tended by Darryl Smith was the winner, remarked that it was the best plot he has ever had in the Medicine Hat District.
– Donald and Craig Pratt received minor injuries when the hitch on a wagon full of bales broke and the wagon overturned. Donald received injuries to his head and Craig was hospitalized for a few days with a broken ankle.
– Mr. and Mrs. Davies now have their house (the former Roman Catholic Rectory) moved to their farm north of Bow Island.
– Mrs. Mildred Mellen has accepted a position as the teacher at Elmspring Hutterite Colony near Warner. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Mellen drove her there during the weekend.
– Miss Gladys Hill has gone back to Edmonton where she will teach in one of the city schools. Miss Patsy Hill is now in Saskatoon and employed with the Unemployment Bureau there.
Foremost News by Mrs. Mary Ann Granberg
– Mr. and Mrs. Harold Leismaster are the proud parents of a baby boy.
– Miss Mildred Roth of Conquerville has moved into the teacherage next to the Library. Mildred is the new Grade 3 teacher.
– Miss Kushner and Miss Field of Saskatchewan moved in with Mildred Roth, they are teaching in Foremost.
– Mrs. Pat Burke has returned home with a new baby girl, Joanne Virginia.
Lucky Strike and Masinasin News by Mrs. Margaret Look
– The Masinasin students taking their Grade 12 elsewhere are Rosalie Wachter, Milk River; Shirley and Carol Bye, Red Deer; Dennis Heirath and Raney Harty, both in Lethbridge. Grade 12 is not taught at the Masinasin School.
– When the school opened this week there was a shortage of 2 teachers. There is no teacher for 7, 8 and 9 and 2, 3 and 4. Mrs. Jean Thompson is at present in charge of the grades 1, 2 and 3’s.
– Mr. and Mrs. Ken Heirath are the proud parents of a baby daughter, Coline Thersa.
– Mr. and Mrs. Lisowski and family returned to Masinasin recently where he will occupy the position of Principal during the coming school term.
This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen