Down Memory Lane #250
By Fred Mellen
These items were taken from the February 13, 1958 issue of the Bow Island Graphic Newspaper
– The Annual Men’s Curling Club Banquet was held in the Community Hall on Thursday evening with the Ladies of the Auxiliary to the Legion catering. Thirty-two rinks were present, twenty-one local and eleven visiting. The visiting teams were from Bow Island B. Allen, G. Calder and Lloyd Sevalrud; from Burdett: M. Nelson, E. Beers and L. Emard; from Milk River: A. Tolton and McNab; from Wrentham: Rarick and Culler and from Etzikom the D. Boll rink.
– Rev. Dahlen has accepted a call to the Bow Island Parish and he will be leaving to take up his new duties in the month of May. Rev. Albert Olson of Strausburg, Sask. has been called by Foremost. It is not known if he will accept.
– Betty Swanson is the candidate for Queen of the Sweetheart Ball from the Foremost Student Union. This dance is to be held at Grassy Lake and there will be other candidates, Natalka Didyk of Bow Island and Clara Gresl from Conquerville.
– A ratepayers meeting was held on Monday night in the Community Hall. A motion was made that Councillors look into buying an ambulance for use in Foremost and district. The Councillors decided on an extensive sidewalk program. A discussion on the renewal of dog tags was held followed by a discussion on a grant being given by the Village to the Community Hall Association. This would have to go before the people in the form of a by-law. The Annual Report showed the village is in good financial position. A vote of thanks was brought to the floor for the Councillors good work.
– Rev. and Mrs. R. Dougan and Ed Schaufele represented the local St. Andrew’s United Church at the South Alberta Presbytery. Held in Medicine Hat at the Fifth Avenue United Church on Wednesday and Thursday.
– Doris Hyland Again Heads Legion Auxiliary. The annual election of officers was held at the last meeting of the Ladies Auxiliary to the Legion on Tuesday evening at the Legion Hall. Re-elected for a second term of office were Mrs. R. Hyland, President; Mrs. J. Wallwork, Vice-President; and Mrs. T. Caswell as Secretary. Mrs. T. Grover was elected as the new Treasurer. Word has been received that the Zone meeting will be held in Medicine Hat on February 19 and Mrs. Ed Schaufele and Mrs. T. Grover were elected as delegates to this gathering.
Etzikom by Mrs. Grace Stromsmoe
– A work crew has been at work sanding the floor in the Community Hall in preparation for the February 14 Valentine Dance. The dance will be sponsored by the Home and School Association with the Nattress Orchestra in attendance.
– A large crowd attended the John Deere show in the Community Hall on Wednesday, sponsored by Cooper Brothers.
This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen