By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #259
These items were taken from the April 10, 1958 issue of the Bow Island Graphic.
– Mr. and Mrs. Merle Allen entertained for a family reunion recently honoring Mrs. Allen’s brother Cpl. James Roth and his family from RCAF station at Claresholm. The Roth’s will be leaving for a station in Germany next month. Present for the family dinner were, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Roth of Banff; Mr. and Mrs. E. Hurt and family; Mr. and Mrs. F. Roth of Ponoka; Mr. and Mrs. Joe Schmidt and family; Steve Roth and his fiancé Roma Nicolay and Mr. and Mrs. Bill Allen.
– A front page picture featured the staff of Bow Island Drug. Elmer Bergh, Lucille Pahl, Madeline Whitney, Mrs. Bergh, Palma Degenstein and Bernard Thurman, President of WIK Applicators who presented Elmer with a cheque as first prize. Bow Island Drug topped the 500 Canadian dealers in the sales contest.
– Johnny Heck of Lethbridge took over the management of the Taylor Coffee Shop this week and it will now be called Johnny’s Coffee Shop.
– The Bow Island United Church advertised the sealed tenders for the construction of a church approximately 3000 square feet with a full basement.
– Happy’s Upholstery advertised that they have a good supply of 5 ft. canvas for irrigation dams.
– Neithercut Jewellers advertised the latest styles and colors in earrings, bracelets and necklaces.
– Beattie Agencies (Art Bixby) advertised that he has taken over the insurance business of Alfred Millar.
Winnifred News by Mrs. Bertha Annon
– Ronald Nicholas has resigned his position with the Canadian Bank of Commerce at Warner and is having a holiday at home. He expects to train with the RCMP in the near future.
– Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Blanchard are moving from Medicine Hat to their farm near Whitla.
– Baby chick season is in full swing and Mrs. W. Nelson has received a shipment of 200.
– Fifteen of the Hoping group who have been taking the St. John Ambulance First Aid Course under Mrs. Louise Laqua, R.N. motored to Bow Island to write their exams under Dr. S. Carr.
– On Good Friday a special service was held at the Lutheran Church with Pastor Dahlen officiating. The special music consisted of a solo by Delores Hougen; a duet by Pastor and Mrs. Dahlen; and Easter Hymn by Judy Tustian; Hymns by the men’s choir and church choir. At Easter Sunday Service a new Altar Pulpit and Baptismal Font were dedicated.
This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen