By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #282
These items were taken from the September 25 issue of the Graphic
– Mayor Bonette Still at the Helm: Five nominated for 3 seats – These positions filled by acclamation and five nominees for three Council seats is the result of Nomination Day here in Bow Island. A.J. Bonette was returned as Mayor and as our Hospital member, and William Hyland was again chosen to represent the Town on the School Committee. Nick Ancion, Judd Couillard, Ken Evans, Roy Loney and Pat Malo were nominated to take three seats on Council. Those retiring from Council this year are Nick Ancion, Henry Luttmer and Tom Noad. O.F. Solberg was Returning Officer and will conduct the election on Wednesday October 15.
– Considerable improvement is being made to the south side of the main street sidewalk. Besides being widened considerable, curbs and gutters are added. Stober Construction of Medicine Hat has the contract.
– Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Adams on the birth of a daughter, Leanne Denise, weighing 7 pounds, 6 oz., born at Medicine Hat Hospital on Sunday, September 21.
– There will be Community Showers for two October Bride Elects next week. A shower will be held October 1st honouring Miss Sheila Halpin and on October 6th honouring Miss Lavina Funk.
Winnifred News by Mrs. Bertha Annon
– Telephones are going to be installed at the Ogilvie and Lake of the Woods elevators.
– Cecil Popel is installing a cess pool at his residence and had a machine down from Bow Island to do the excavating.
– The Lake of the Woods Milling has announced they will pay a patronage dividend of ? cent a bushel on all grains for the 1957-58 crop year. This is the first time they have paid dividends.
Lucky Strike and Masinasin News by Mrs. Margaret Look
– The Masinasin School has finally acquired a Grade VII, VIII and IX teacher, Mr. Ratzloff from Didsbury, however they are still in need of a Grade I, II and III teacher.
– Douglas Hansen had the misfortune to break his arm last Saturday by falling off his horse.
– Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Taylor of Aden are the proud parents of a baby girl, Muriel Louise, born Tuesday, September 16.
Foremost News by Mrs. Mary Ann Granberg
– Mr. and Mrs. N. Broens are receiving congratulations on the birth of a son, weighing 9 lbs 2 oz in the Taber Hospital. Mother and baby are reported to be doing fine.
– Two cars of men motored to Tiber Dam over the weekend to do some fishing but it seems they did not have much luck. Last Thursday Mr. and Mrs. Slim Hagen and Mr. and Mrs. C. Wolfe motored to Tiber Lake in Montana and caught 40 fish.
– There is a half page advertisement in this issue. Don’t Make “Mom” hang clothes out this winter. Enquire now about a Moffat-Bendix or McClary Dryer that will save “frosted” hands and give her many hours of wash-day freedom. We will be pleased to call and assist you, without obligation, with all your appliance and heating problems. All of our appliances are available in Propane or Natural Gas. Sturdie Propane Ltd. David Hogg, Mgr., Phone 89r2, Bow Island.
That’s all for this week. This has been a Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen