By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #195
These items are a continuation of articles taken from the June 13, 1957 issue of the Bow Island Graphic Newspaper.
Bow Island – Mr. and Mrs. Claude Bishop are receiving congratulations on the birth of a daughter, Valerie Louise, born June 1. Mother and baby are both doing fine.
– Mrs. N. Coffman is sporting a lovely black-eye which she received at school while watching some of the boys play ball.
Some more adverts: Motorcycle for sale: reconditioned motor – see Henry Kerner.
Wanted: Saddle in good condition – contact O. Mitchell, Bow Island.
Collie pups; from good heeler and good watch dog. Contact Ted Leno, Box 144, Bow Island.
Why buy a sprayer? Weed spraying done at very reasonable rates, contact Ray Ulrich, Bow Island
June 20, 1957 Whitla News by Yvonne Ovard
– A number of people attended the banquet in honor of Monsignor McCoy, for 40 years of service, which was held at the Town and Country Club, June 13.
– Mr. and Mrs. C. Hillestad and Mr. and Mrs. C. Ovard attended the Graduation Dance in Bow Island on Thursday evening.
Burdett News – by Mrs. Dora Warren
– Deanne Johnson of Calgary has returned home to spend a month’s vacation with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Johnson.
– Monday night a number of people motored to Medicine Hat after the polls closed. Among these were: Mr. and Mrs. John Vos, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Strom, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Strom and Mr. and Mrs. Orville Reber.
– Mr. and Mrs. Bill Yates are receiving congratulations on the birth of a daughter in the Lethbridge Hospital.
– Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Collins are receiving congratulations on the birth of a daughter in the Taber Municipal Hospital.
– Richard Campbell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ken Campbell placed second in the Saxophone Section in the Festival held in Moose Jaw recently. Richard is employed at Suffield now and is a member of the Medicine Hat Band. He also plays with the Burdett Orchestra (Bill’s Melody Men) when home.
Bow Island – Mr. and Mrs. Dan Byam Jr., Mr. and Mrs. Dan Byam Sr., Mr. and Mrs. M. Byam, Charlie Byam, Percy Byam, Mrs. Pollitt, Mrs. Margaret Caswell and Mr. and Mrs. Ted Caswell all motored to Ralston to attend the wedding of Eldean Caswell to Mr. Glen King of Ralston. The wedding was held at the brides home and reception followed at the Community Hall. The couple will reside in Ralston.
Conquerville News Notes by Louise Wutzke
– Mr. Sheuger of Medicine Hat, new owner of the Otto Solberg farm, has sold the farm house to Tullio Corraini; barn to Ernest Wutzke and the granaries to William Spring.
– Lila Corraini is home from school this week, a victim of measles.
– Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Schile left for San Francisco on Thursday, June 20 to attend the Lions Convention. They are being accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. L. Emard, and plan to visit Los Angeles before returning.
That’s all for this week. This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen.