Current Temperature

4.1°C

September 28, 2020 September 28, 2020

Blue-green algae health advisory in effect for Bullshead Reservoir

Posted on August 27, 2015 by 40 Mile Commentator

Residents living near the shores of this reservoir, as well as visitors to this reservoir, are advised to avoid all contact with blue-green algae blooms. And if contact occurs, wash with tap water as soon as possible. They are also asked to swim or wade in areas where the algae is visible and not to eat fish trimming or whole fish or allow their pets to eat them. Fish fillets from the reservoir are considered safe.
Visitors and residents are reminded to never drink or cook with untreated water directly from any recreational body of water, including Bullshead Reservoir. Boiling this water will not remove the toxins produced by blue-green algae. An alternate source of drinking water should also be provided for pets and livestock, while this advisory is active.
People who come in contact with visible blue-green algae, or who ingest water containing blue-green algae may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea. Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days. Symptoms in children are often more pronounced; however, all humans are at risk of these symptoms.
Areas of the reservoir in which the blue-green algae bloom is not visible can still be used for recreational purposes, even while this Blue-green Algae Advisory is in place.
If you suspect a problem related to blue-green algae or if you require further information on health concerns and blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), please call Health Link at 811.

Leave a Reply

Get More Bow Island Commentator
Log In To Comment Latest Paper Subscribe