By Justin Seward and Jeremy Appel
Cypress County has eight road projects planned for the rest of 2018, two of which are underway, while the other half-dozen are still out for tender and expected to start between August and early fall.
“I think we’re in pretty good shape,” said Curtis Richter, Cypress County’s director of public works, about the county’s overall road situation.
“Over the last 10 years, a lot of attention has been put into the rural roads, because back in the years, they had a lot of drifting in the winter time.
“A lot of the roads were medium-grade gravel roads. Now they’re being built up to a gravel, new high grade.”
The planned projects for the rest of the year are as follows:
– Range Road 40 gravel road oiling is in progress from the Hwy 1 south to the Cavan Lake Campground entrance. Traffic control is in the place with minor delays.
– Seven Persons infrastructure rehabilitation involving replacing water distribution and sanitary sewer lines is under way. The streets involved are Mildred Street, 1st Avenue and 3rd Avenue. These streets will be paved with hot mix asphalt once the deep utilities are completed. Traffic control is in place with minor delays.
– Township Road 162 between Range Road 10 and Range Road 14 east of Schuler will be under going an upgrade to a Gravel New High Grade road. Traffic control will be put in place with minor delays once construction begins.
– Two Bridges on the Black and White Trail south of Township Road 120 will be getting major maintenance done. Traffic control will be put in place with a temporary detour.
– One bridge on Township Road 160 west of Highway 41 near Schuler will be getting replaced. Traffic control will be put in place with a temporary detour once construction begins.
– One bridge on Township Road 120 near the west side of Walsh will be getting major maintenance done. Traffic control will put in place with a temporary detour once construction begins.
– Eagle Butte Road between Range Road 33 and Highway 41 on the south side of Cypress Hills will be upgraded to a Gravel New High Grade. Work will begin in the fall once the tendering process is completed. Traffic control will be put into place with minor delays once construction begins.
– Range Road 70 between Township Road 130 and Paramatta Estates. The tasks are to construct to Oil High Grade Road, re-align steep grade on the hill and improve curve near the bottom of the hill.