By Fred Mellen
Down Memory Lane #193
This is a continuation of items I have gleaned from the June 6, 1957 issue of the Bow Island Graphic Newspaper.
Bow Island – Rev. Brooker Accepts Call from Montreal Church. The Rev. Ronald Keith Dougan, of Edmonton will take over as Pastor of the Bow Island-Burdett Charges of the United Church commencing July 1st. Rev. Dougan is a native of Selkirk, Saskatchewan and received his degree in Education in the U of A. He was ordained last week at Special Services at Gaetz Memorial United Church in Red Deer during the United Church Conference. The Rev. D. Brooker and family will be leaving Bow Island in early July.
Bow Island – Elmer Bergh has made arrangements with a recent graduate in Pharmacy from the U of A, Gary Van Petten, to relieve at his drug store this summer, while he enjoys his holidays. Mr. Van Petten is one of the very few men to ever receive a degree in Pharmacy from the University before reaching the age of twenty one.
– The Graduation Exercises will be held at Gershaw High School on Wednesday evening, July 12 at 8:30 p.m. Graduates for the 1957 class include Gale Dyer, Elaine Clark, Gail Thacker of Burdett; Sharon Bissett, Jerry Carlson, Sarah DeVloo, Merle Roerer (should be Roeder), Steve Hadnagy, Muriel Martin, Jack Thorson of Bow Island and Sheila Hubka of Whitla. Sharon Bissett will be the Class Valedictorian with Jerry Carlson as Class Historian and Sharon Wilson giving: “A Peep into the Future”.
Can you believe the last three articles I have submitted were all gleaned from one paper the June 6, 1957 Bow Island Graphic.
So – here are some items taken from the June 13, 1957 Bow Island Graphic.
Burdett – by Dora Warren
– Mr. and Mrs. Art Galipeau have moved to the Earl Smith farm where Mr. Galipeau is employed.
– Mr and Mrs. Marvin Stensrud spent the weekend at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Philip Van Oostenbrugge.
– Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Snow and family of Medicine Hat spent the weekend at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Emard.
– Mrs. C. Comstock of Rosebud has returned to her home after having spent several days visiting with her daughter and family, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Poole Jr.
– Mrs. Madeline Thacker, Gail, Blaine and Herbie were visitors at Claresholm at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Weatherhead.
Engagement Announced – Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Turnbull of Grassy Lake announce the engagement of their only daughter, Florence to Clarence Kunz, son of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Kunz of Bow Island. The wedding to take place July 18 in St. Lukes Anglican Church in Grassy Lake.
Bow Island – Douglas E. Flamme, representing the Bow Island Municipal Hospital Board has been in Edmonton consulting with Dr. Cross and Mr. Hinman this week.
Bow Island – Mrs. B. Adolph received facial injuries from an accident early Monday morning when her car went up against a steep embankment. Mr. and Mrs. Adolph were returning from a trip to Calgary and travelled via Jenner to take their son home before coming to Bow Island. Their car is extensively damaged.
That’s all for this week. This has been another Stroll Down Memory Lane with Old Fred Mellen.