Reesor Lake was the site of an identified blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) bloom last week.
Visitors and residents that are near the shores of the lake are to take the following precautions including: avoiding contact with the blue-green algae blooms,do not swim or wade near the blue-green algae, where it is visible, donot to feed fish trimmings to your pet from this lake and to limit fish human fish consumption.
Residents and visitors are reminded not to drink or cook with untreated water from any recreational body of water, including Reesor Lake, at anytime. If people boil water, it will not eliminate the toxins produced by the blue-green algae. An alternative drinking water should be provided for pets and livestock while this advisory is in effect.
People who come in contact or ingest water containing the blue green algae may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever nausea and vomiting and or diarrhea.
Exposure could prove fatal to pets.
Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours.
If you suspect a problem related to blue-green algae or if you require further information on health concerns and blue-green algae, please call Health Link at 811. Additional information is also available online, at www.ahs.ca/bga.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.