By Jill Bernhart
for the Foremost Historical Society
The brick building that stands on Main Street and Second Avenue in Foremost was the second building of the Royal Bank of Canada. The building was originally located in Redcliff, Alta. and built in 1914 from bricks made in a plant in the town . In 1928 a bigger more modern bank was needed in Redcliff. The brick structure was dismantled and moved brick by brick to Foremost where it was rebuilt and opened as the Royal Bank in January of 1929. Records show that the building was reconstructed opposite to how it was in Redcliff. The side door to the second story, shown in the picture as being on the rear, was actually originally at the front of the building.
The outside of the structure remains somewhat the same as in 1929. The windows are newer but the interior has been extensively renovated and now houses lawyers and accountants who come to Foremost on a weekly or monthly basis.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.